International Liaison

Visa Information

Visas and Status of Residence

Visas are issued by Japanese embassies and consulates abroad prior to entering Japan as a document required for landing procedures. Visas are deemed "used" or "invalid" upon obtaining landing permission at arrival. "Status of residence" refers to the activities foreigners are permitted to engage in while staying in Japan. Foreigners who have been given permission to land subsequently reside in Japan according to the "status of residence" determined and granted by the immigration officer when receiving permission to land in Japan.

As of December 2014, Japan has made agreements concerning the waiver of general visa requirements with 67 countries and regions. Nationals of these countries and regions do not require a visa when entering Japan to engage in activities related to the status of residence for which is considered to be "Short-Term Stay" such as business, conferences, tourism, or to visit family or friends. The length of stay for "Short-Term Stay" visitors is 90 days, except for Thailand(15 days), Brunei (14 days) and United Arab Emirates(30 days). (Please see "Main countries and regions with visa exemption arrangements" website below for details.) Those entering Japan under the status of residence classified as "professor", "student", and "cultural activities" require a visa, regardless of their length of stay in Japan.

Immigration Bureau of Japan website:

Main countries and regions with visa exemption arrangements

Possible types of Status of Residence for those who study or work at the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences:

For Students
・Full-time course student / Research student: "ryuugakusei" (Student)
・Internship research student: "bunka katsudou" (Cultural Activities)
・Other (for the application process or examinations / for participation in the summer program, etc.): "tanki-taizai" (Short-Term Stay)

For Researchers
・Employed by The University of Tokyo / JSPS research fellow: "kyoju" (Professor)
・Not employed by The University of Tokyo (ex. Visiting Researcher, International Adjunct Researcher): "bunka-katsudo" (Cultural Activities)

A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued by the Ministry of Justice Immigration Bureau of Japan is necessary to apply for a visa. The University of Tokyo will apply for "Student", "Professor", and "Cultural Activities" COE on your behalf; and then send the original COE to you by post. You should then take this COE with your other documents when applying for a visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country. "Short-Term Stay" visitors do not need a COE.

Regarding "re-entry permit", please see here