Accommodations offered by University

Applications for admission are accepted twice a year, in January and July. You should apply to your department office in January (for admission in April) and in July (for admission in October).

Kashiwa International Lodge (on Kashiwa campus Ⅱ: 20 minutes walk to Kashiwa campus)

In addition to this accommodation, Todai offers several other accommodations to international students and foreign researchers. Further information can be found here

Accommodation offered by The Graduate School of Frontier Sciences

The Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (GSFS) provides furnished housing facility at the Kashiwanoha International Village (KIV - 14FLR Park Axis Kashiwanoha) located in front of Kashiwanoha Campus Station. This housing facility is open for international students, researchers and some Japanese students as well.Conditions unique to Japanese society when renting a place to stay such as deposits (shiki-kin), key money (reikin), and the guarantor system are unnecessary to live in KIV, therefore you can start your new life in Japan smoothly.

Further information can be found here:

Short-Term Accommodations for International Researchers

International Lodge, Kashiwa Lodge

How to apply: Please contact the faculty, graduate school, institute or center to which you are going to work.

Permitted Period of Stay: from 2 weeks to 1 year. Application period: Applications are accepted on an as-needed basis.

Further information can be found here.

Kashiwanoha International Village (KIV)

Application deadline is the 1st of the month that is 2 months prior to the month applicants wish to move in. The period of stay is more than 7 days and within 184 days.

Further information can be found here.

Accommodations where applications are accepted through the University

In addition to the accommodations above, information about available accommodations will be posted on our website, Administrative Portal or e-mail from the Student Affairs Team. Also, here is information about Japan Student Services Organization provided by JASSO. Students and researchers can also apply for JTS International Residence for Researchers in Tsukuba-city, Ibaraki through your supervisor at the University of Tokyo.

How to find private apartment

Since the amount of housing offered by University at the moment is limited, many foreign students and researchers find private apartments near Kashiwa campus by themselves.

How to find private apartment: Please refer to the webpage of the Kashiwa International Office(KIO)
University Guarantor System: University Guarantor System was established to help international students find guarantors, which are almost always required in order to rent an apartment. A guarantor is required to co-sign the lease to share liability. If you meet certain eligibility requirements, the University of Tokyo will act as your guarantor. Further information can be found here.