Requesting Various Documents

※In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the office of GSFS Student Affairs Team is temporary opening
   from 9:00am to 1:00pm.

*Requests cannot be submitted over the phone or by e-mail.
Documents can be requested in the following ways:
  • Use of Automated Certification Machine (only for Certificate of Enrollment, Certificate of Expected Program Completion (Master’s Program only), Academic Transcript (in Japanese only), and Student Discount Certificate for Train Fares)
  • In person at Student Affairs Team
  • Postal mail
  • Fax (only in cases where requested documents will be picked up in person at Student Affairs Team)

Requests Via Postal Mail

Send the following to the address listed below.
(1) Certificate Request Form
(2) Self-addressed stamped envelope
(3) Copy of Student ID Card (For those who have graduated, a copy of government-issued identification will suffice.)


If you are outside Japan and cannot get Japanese postal stamps, enclose International Reply Coupons instead.

  • Download "Certificate Request Form" word / pdf


ZIP code 277-8561
5-1-5 Kashiwa-no-ha
Kashiwa-shi, Chiba-ken
Student Affairs Team
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences
The University of Tokyo 

"In case of difficulty downloading the form"

Please send a sheet of paper with the following information:

Name (in Japanese and Roman block capitals)
Date of Birth
Date of Matriculation / Enrollment (Month and Year)
Date of (Expected) Graduation / Date of Withdrawal (Month and Year)
Program(Master's, PhD)
Student Identification Number
Address (Be sure to include postal code and apartment name, if applicable.)
Daytime Telephone Number
E-mail Address
Type of document being requested (e.g. Academic Transcript, Certificate of Program Completion)
Language (Japanese, English)
Number of copies requested
Sealed or not sealed (Documents will be sealed only if requested.)
Reason for request
Where to send requested documents

Requests Via Fax

Requests via fax can be received only when documents will be picked up in person at Student Affairs Team.
Complete and fax the following "Certificate Request Form"

  • Download "Certificate Request Form" word / pdf

"Fax Number" +81-(0)4-7136-4010

Requests In Person

When requesting documents in person at Student Affairs Team, look for, complete, and submit the Certificate Request Form.
"Days" Monday - Friday (excludes Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, year-end and New Year holidays, and summer holidays)
"Hours" 9 AM - 12 PM, 1PM - 5 PM
"Location" Student Affairs Team, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (First Floor, Transdisciplinary Sciences Building, Kashiwa Campus)

Items to Bring When Picking Up Documents at Student Affairs Team

Self---Student ID Card or official identification
Proxy---official identification and proxy letter

Processing Time

Japanese---Documents are ready in 2 days after requests are received (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays).
English---Documents are ready in 7-10 days after requests are received (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays). (The above times apply when requests are received in person at Student Affairs Team.)

*Requests via postal mail will require additional processing time, so allow plenty of time for processing.