China Scholarship Council
How to apply for a letter of acceptance
The Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (GSFS) of the University of Tokyo accepts applications only once a year from mid-December, from those who have applied or are going to apply for a China Scholarship Council (CSC) scholarship. Please note that GSFS will not accept any applications except during this period.
After GSFS officially assess the submitted application materials, GSFS will issue a certificate of admission in February as an acceptance letter that an applicant could submit to CSC in order to complete the scholarship application. This certificate outlines details on tuition exemption.
1. Enroll as a doctoral course student
For those who would like to enroll in a doctoral course at GSFS in October 2023, please read 1) Guidelines for application well and submit a complete set of application materials to the International Liaison Office.
2. Enroll as a non degree seeking student
For those who would like to study at GSFS as a non degree seeking student ("共同養成博士研究生") while receiving a scholarship from CSC, you will apply for a status of "Special Research Student" to GSFS. Please read 1) Guidelines for application well and submit a complete set of application materials to the International Liaison Office.
As of December 5th 2023
- Only students from 60 of universities in China listedhere are eligible to apply for doctoral course.
- Only students from 28 of universities in China listedhere are eligible to apply for a special research student status which students do not intend to proceed to a degree course.
- Applications for master course are not accepted.
|by Email||February 6, 2023 (Mon), 17:00 pm in Tokyo time|
|Hard copy by postal mail||February 10, 2023 (Fri)Applications received after the deadline will not be processed.|
Where to submit
Email: iloedu.k.u-tokyo.ac.jp (＊Please note that @ is displayed as an image to prevent SPAM.)
International Liaison Office
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences
The University of Tokyo
Room 120, Building of Environmental Studies
5-1-5 Kashiwa no ha, Kashiwa
Chiba 277-0882, Japan
Phone: +81 4 7136 4558
- If I get a CSC scholarship, do I still have to take an entrance examination to enroll in a doctoral course?
- Your admission would be also assessed when you file an application. Therefore, you don't have to take any entrance examination to start your doctoral course if you pass both of GSFS and CSC assessment.
- I have obtained a letter of acceptance directly from a professor at GSFS. But it mentions nothing about tuition exemption. Can the professor include a statement concerning the tuition exemption?
- No. An official letter of acceptance is issued only by GSFS to qualified students, which mentions tuition exemption. Any applicant who may receive a CSC scholarship but did not follow these GSFS procedures will be required to take an entrance examination and pay tuition.
- I enrolled as a CSC student, but I could not finish my Ph. D. course within three years and my CSC scholarship will end soon. If I extend my period of study without CSC support, can I still receive a tuition exemption?
- Unfortunately no. Students who enter a doctoral course of The University of Tokyo as "中国政府派遣大学院生" shall be exempted from paying tuition for a maximum of three years which is regarded as the standard period required to complete doctoral courses, according to the university regulations. Such students are required to pay tuition after the standard three year period.
- I am not from a university listed on the 29 universities in China. I am eligible to apply for a scholarship to CSC, and I would like to study at GSFS as a non degree seeking student. May I apply for an acceptance letter under these procedures?
- Unfortunately no. However, you are still able to apply for a status of "Special Research Student", if you find a supervisor at GSFS who is willing to accept you in his/her laboratory. "Special Research Student" must pay tuition for their study period at GSFS. Once your application is approved by GSFS, GSFS will issue an acceptance letter. Please be reminded this letter will not mention about tuition exemption.
- I am applying for one of the CSC programs, "联合培养博士研究生"(Visiting Ph.D. Student). Will you accept me as a researcher "外国人協力研究員" instead of as "Special Research Student"? If yes, what visa category am I applying under?
- GSFS receives "联合培养博士研究生"(Visiting Ph.D. Student) only as a student. Therefore, our answer is "No" to the first question.
When CSC-Visiting Ph.D. Students enter Japan, they will need a visa. The visa category that they are eligible to apply for is "student". A certificate of eligibility is required for visa application. GSFS will apply for CoEs on behalf of those who have been issued GSFS official acceptance letters with our Dean's seal.
- I am planning to apply for a CSC scholarship after I enroll in a master or doctoral program at GSFS. In order to apply for a CSC scholarship, I need an acceptance letter which refers to tuition exemption. How do I apply for it?
- Please be reminded that only students who are studying at any of 60 universities in China at the time of application, are eligible to apply for such a letter. GSFS students are not eligible to use this scheme described in this website.