Information on Entrance Examinations

Welcome to our website for information on entrance examinations.This website shows the necessary information on GSFS entrance examinations.

Guidelines for International Students Applying for Research Student Status for in October 2019 Enrollment

The program of Graduate Foreign Research Students (hereinafter referred to as “Kenkyusei”) is made available to foreign students who wish to conduct research under the supervision of a professor at the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (GSFS). Students admitted as “Kenkyusei” are not entitled to receive any degree or qualification upon the completion of the program.


Non-Japanese applicants who have completed 16 years of education and been conferred with a bachelor’s degree by an accredited educational institution, or who are expected to have a bachelor degree by September 30, 2019.


Step 1: Contact a GSFS professor whom you wish to have as a supervisor, and obtain an unofficial agreement to accept you.
Step 2:

Pay application fee on line. (JPY 9,800)
Print “payment confirmation page”. (cf. 3.9)

Step 3: Prepare the application forms indicated in Section 3. APPLICATION DOCUMENTS. Include the printed “payment confirmation page” in your application package and send it by post so that your application package is received by the application deadline, May 10.


1) Application form (Form 1, 2 pages)

One picture (size 3 x 4 cm) of the applicant must be attached.
In addition to the applicant photo attached to the application form, an extra applicant photo (size 3 x 4 cm) must be clipped to the application form.

2) Study Plan (Form 3)

Even if you have not decided on a research plan or have not talked with your prospective supervisor about the plan, you submit your own plan as part of the application procedure. cf. 7.2 You can write more than one page, but only five pages at the most.

3) Financial Plan (Form 4)

This document is very important for your visa application. Student visas are not issued without a sound financial plan that proves your ability to support yourself during the period of enrollment.

4) Comments from Supervisor of Your Choice at GSFS

Use the designated form provided by GSFS. This form must be filled out by the professor whom you wish to have as your supervisor upon enrollment in GSFS. Only comments in a sealed envelope by the professor are accepted. Professors may submit their comments directly to the Student Affairs Section. In such cases, be sure to mention this in your application package.

5) Certificate of Japanese Proficiency (Form 5)

If you have never studied Japanese before, indicate as such on this form. If you have a score of Japanese Language Proficiency Test (N1/N2), you can submit a copy of the score instead of the form.

6) Certificate of Physical Examination (Form 6)

Please have this certificate completed by a registered physician in your country. This certificate must be prepared within three months of the submission date.  

7) All diplomas or graduation certificates issued by universities or colleges you have attended

Obtain an official diploma or graduation certificate from your university. If your university does not issue copies of diplomas or graduation certificates, have your copy of the original certified by the university and submit the certified copy. All official documents written in a language other than Japanese or English must be accompanied by a Japanese or English translation of the document.

8) All transcripts of academic records certifying the grades of undergraduate coursework and master’s coursework

Obtain an official transcript from your university. If your university does not issue transcript certificates, have a copy of your original certified by the university and submit the certified copy. All official documents written in a language other than Japanese or English must be accompanied by a Japanese or English translation of the document.

9) Printed “payment confirmation page” that you will receive when finishing payment of examination fee by online.

10) Contact sheet (Form 7)

11) One Kaku-2 size (33.2 x 24 cm) self-addressed return envelope

This return envelope will be used for sending you your application results. If your mailing address is in Japan, a 140JPY stamp must be affixed to the return envelope. If your mailing address is outside Japan, please enclose the required number of IRCs as shown in the following table. Admission result will be sent to you by EMS or DHL. See the table of Required Number of International Reply Coupons by Area.
The IRCs are normally sold at or through your local post office. Please visit the following website for further information on the IRC.


For October 1, 2019 enrollment, the application period is from April 1 to May 10, 2019.
Please send us a complete set of application documents by post so that your application package is received by the May 10 deadline. We suggest you send in a track-able manner through post office or private courier service. A Notification of Admission results will be sent out to every applicant around the end of June.


One year. However, extensions may be permitted up to two times provided the “Kenkyusei” continues the same research theme. cf. 7.2


Entrance fee:  84,600 yen
Tuition fee(half-year):  173,400 yen
The amounts are subject to change without prior notice.
If your admission as a research student is granted, then you will be required to pay the total amount of the two fees by mid-September. GSFS expects all individuals to handle necessary immigration procedures themselves.

  1. 7.NOTES

1) Application documents submitted and examination fee paid will NOT be returned or refunded under any circumstances.
2) You cannot change your research theme. If you would like to change the research content/theme, you must reapply.
3) Those who are considered inappropriate as a foreign research student after admission may be expelled from the school.
4) "Kenkyusei" cannot register courses for credits even though paying tuition.
5) The University of Tokyo has established the “The University of Tokyo Security Export Control Regulations” in accordance with Japan’s “Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act”, and rigorously screens potential international students on the basis of these regulations.
Please be aware that international applicants who fall under any of the conditions set out in said regulations may not receive permission to enroll at the university or may have their research activities restricted.
Details can be obtained from the following website:
Office of Export Control (Japanese only)


    Student Affairs Section, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences
    The University of Tokyo
    5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa city, CHIBA 277-8561