Information on Entrance Examinations Welcome to our website for information on entrance examinations.This website shows the necessary information on GSFS entrance examinations.

Applications accepted through the Online Application Site.
If you have any questions, please see "8. FAQs" at the bottom of the page and "FAQ". If you still have any questions, please contact us via "9. Contacts and inquires".

The application period for Ordinary Examination (Schedule B) is from Tuesday, November 16, to Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 23:00 Japan time (JST).

Scholarships that can be applied for at the same time as applying for entrance exams

The following scholarships can be applied for at the same time as the entrance examination application. Those who wish to apply should follow the application guidelines and submit the required documents through the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences online application website.

Todai Fellowship

Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship (JASSO Scholarship)

Please prepare as stated below prior to application.

System Requirements

The following Web browsers are supported for online applications.

  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or higher
  • Microsoft Internet Edge Latest edition
  • Google Chrome Latest edition
  • Mozilla Firefox Latest edition
  • Apple Safari 8 or higher

*Please refrain from simultaneous applications on multiple tabs while using the browser tab functions as this may cause malfunction such as selected context being carried over to other tabs.
Please use the following OS for online application using smartphones and tablets.

  • iOS 10.2 or higher
  • Android 4.4 or higher

*Recommend using the standard browser of each OS for the best results.

Software needed for downloading or printing PDF files

Adobe Reader is required to view or print the application form which is in PDF format. Please download the Adobe Reader software from the following website (free download).

Email address

A valid email address is required for your online application. We recommend using an email address that can be used on the computer in order to print out the examination admission ticket. Please check your email settings as well to ensure that you are able to receive emails from the following domain:

Documents to submit

Documents to be submitted in this online system include digital image of your face photo file (Photo requirements: jpeg format, Width: Height= 3:4 Number of pixels: Width over 236 pixels, Height over 308 pixels, Resolution: 300 dpi, Can upload file size up to 1MB), Inquiry Sheet, transcripts, graduation/completion certificate, resident card (only a foreigner currently residing in Japan), academic/duty balance plan (only those who wish to enroll with the status of employment), English score sheet, research plan, essay, abstract of doctoral thesis, letter of recommendation, etc. For details, please carefully check the application guidelines (graduate school website) and the entrance examination guidebook of the department you wish to apply (department website).

If the English score sheet, etc. is not submitted during the application period, please state so in the Message column at the time of online application, and after the application deadline, please upload using "Upload Additional Documents."

The photo will be used to identify you at the entrance examination, and to create your student ID card for enrollment. Please note that you may not be able to take the entrance examination if your photo is retouched and we cannot identify you online.

【IMPORTANT】Applications for Schedule A and B are accepted online.

Application Period

May 20 (Thu) to 26 (Wed), 2021 (Special Oral Exam)

June 9 (Wed) to 17(Thu), 2021 (Schedule A)

November 16(Tue) to 25 (Thu), 2021 (Schedule B)

  • If you cannot submit your English score sheet etc. by the online application deadline, please state so in the correspondence box when you apply online.
  • The novel coronavirus infection is expanding and if the situation deteriorates, the entrance examination this year might not be conducted as the way written in the Guideline for Applicants.
    We'd like to ask you to visit the website regularly both the school and the department you are willing to enroll and check the updated information regarding the entrance examination.

1.Information on entrance examinations offered by GSFS

The information on entrance examinations is available in the following ways:

  1. Guidelines for Applicants (available only online)
  2. GSFS website (this website)
  3. Entrance Examination Guide of each department
  4. Department websites
  5. Briefing sessions on entrance examinations, visiting laboratories, etc. provided by each department (Note: some departments may not provide the briefing sessions.)

Guidelines for Applicants and GSFS website

Information on entrance examinations offered by each department

Each department of GSFS has their own method of entrance examinations to accommodate the diversity and nature of their research fields, methodologies, etc. The requirements, screening process, and other matters specific to each department as well as the information on their research activities are posted on each department website and included in the Entrance Examination Guide.
(Note: Graduate Program in Sustainability Science - Global Leadership Initiative: (GPSS-GLI) is included whenever department or each department is referred to on this website.)

2.Briefing sessions on entrance examinations

3.Guidelines for Applicants and Entrance Examination Guides

3-1 Guidelines to Master Course

(Ordinary Examination, Special Selection for Applicants with Overseas Education)

3-2 Guidelines to Doctor Course Ver.2

3-3 Entrance Examination Guides / Inquiry Sheet / Document Checklist

Please obtain "Information on Entrance Examination, Inquiry Sheet, and Document Checklist" from the
     appropriate department/program website.

4. Paying the examination fee

※You can pay the examination fee on the online application site.

5. Reviewing past examination results (Japanese version only)

6. Requesting past tests

8. FAQs

9. Contacts and inquires

Student Affairs Team
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences
The University of Tokyo

If you have any questions regarding the Entrance Examinations, please contact us using the form below.

Inquiry Form:

•We will reply to your inquiry approximately within three working days.

•Please note that we may not be able to respond to inquiries unrelated to the entrance exam.

•Please check "8. FAQs" on the entrance examination page of our website before making inquiries.

No inquiries are accepted by phone and/or email for the results of the entrance examinations.

10. Application for Research Students and International Research Students

Links to departments

Division of Transdisciplinary Sciences

Division of Biosciences

Division of Environmental Studies