HOME > Admission

Department of Advanced Energy has programs leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Science. An applicant may also be admitted as a Postgraduate Foreign Research Student (Kenkyu-sei), i.e. as a non-degree student.

Application period and quota are written in the Guidelines for Applicants (Boshu-Yoko) .
  Master course Doctor course
Entrance Examination, Date August 23, 24 and 30, 2016 August 23 and 24, 2016
Entrance Examination, Subjects
  • Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Essay on energy related issues
  • Oral examination
  • Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Oral examination
  • Presentation
Requesting Application Forms
Kyomu-kakari, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences,
5-1-5, Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa 277-8561, Japan
E-mail: Kyomu-Kakari or Prof. H. Koizumi
Fax: +81-4-7136-4007
1. Expenses etc.
Please refer to the website of GSFS
2. Scholarships/Monbukagakusyo Scholarship
It is quite hard to get any kind of scholarship in Japan. You should apply for some scholarships at home before leaving for Japan. If you go to the nearest Japanese Embassy in your country, you can get information and an application form to apply for a Monbukagakusyo Scholarship, which is a scholarship that the Japanese Government offers to foreign students studying in Japan. (The University of Tokyo does not distribute the application form for Monbukagakusyo Scholarships.)
Try to have embassy recommendation. University recommendation is limited to the students from the universities that have an exchange program with our university.
3. Other important points
  1. Before registration, foreign students must obtain a visa valid for enrollment in the graduate school.
  2. Obtaining scholarships is difficult because of intense competition.
  3. Obtaining accommodation in student residence facilities is difficult.
  4. In general, Kenkyu-sei are not eligible to purchase discount air tickets, rail tickets, or commuting passes, or to receive other student discounts.
Kashiwanoha 5-1-5, Kashiwa, Chiba 277-8561, Japan